Need a break?
After yesterday, we thought you might. Try something simple and healthy for dinner tonight – roasted beets with horseradish sauce. Serve it alongside a few slices of cold roast beef from your deli (which also pairs wonderfully well with the horseradish sauce) and saute the beet greens with a little olive oil and garlic – et voila! You’re going to want a vino that’s a little bit rustic and has somewhat more body than your typical everyday wines. Try our Domaine Chaume-Arnaud Granges Rouges ($15). Granges Rouges is a “tres français” everyday red, made from 100% Grenache. Many French producers make 100% Grenache wines but they mostly keep them for themselves, their “Vin du Garage” that they drink and serve their guests. Grenache is an earthy grape that has less tannin, so Granges Rouges has a warm earthiness and fades beautifully on the tongue. Lovely.
Ingredients (beets and greens)
- 1 bunch beets with greens
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 TBSP red wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Wash the beets thoroughly, leaving the skins on, and remove the greens. Rinse greens, removing any large stems, and set aside. Place the beets in a small baking dish or roasting pan, and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. If you wish to peel the beets, it is easier to do so once they have been roasted.
- Cover, and bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a knife can slide easily through the largest beet.
- When the roasted beets are almost done, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic, and cook for a minute. Tear the beet greens into 2 to 3 inch pieces, and add them to the skillet. Cook and stir until greens are wilted and tender. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the greens as is, and the roasted beets sliced with horseradish sauce.
Ingredients (horseradish sauce)
- 2 TBSP prepared horseradish
- 1 TBSP cider vinegar
- 3 TBSP mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup plain Greek style yogurt or sour cream
- In a small bowl whisk together horseradish, vinegar, mustard, mayonnaise, ground red pepper and sour cream.