Boston Baked Beans
- 2 cups navy beans
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1 onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 or 2 teaspoons spicy mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- * if you’re a ketchup or barbecue sauce fan; go ahead and add about ¼ cup of either
- Soak beans overnight in cold water. Simmer the beans in the same water until tender, approximately 1 to 2 hours. Drain and reserve the liquid.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Arrange the beans in a 2 quart bean pot or casserole dish by placing a portion of the beans in the bottom of dish, and layering them with bacon and onion.
- In a saucepan, combine molasses, salt, pepper, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil and pour over beans. Pour in just enough of the reserved bean water to cover the beans. Cover the dish with a lid or aluminum foil.
- Bake for 3 to 4 hours or so in the preheated oven, until beans are tender. You almost cannot overcook them as long as you tend them. Occasionally stir the beans, turning the contents over from top to bottom. Remove the lid about halfway through cooking, and add more liquid if necessary to prevent the beans from getting too dry.