- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped, or 1 pasilla or green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 boneless , skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- fresh limes
- 6 stale corn tortillas, cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and chopped, optional garnish
- Plain Greek yogurt, optional garnish
- Grated Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese, optional garnish
In a large heavy pot, heat the oil on medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic, peppers, salt, cumin, and coriander for 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and chicken breat then bring to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the chicken meat is cooked through. Remove the chicken breast, shred the meat, then return meat to the pot. Add the cilantro and lime juice, and stir well. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
Heat the oil in a heavy pot or electric fryer to 350 degrees F. Add the tortilla strips in batches and fry until golden and crisp, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Season with salt.
Ladle the soup into 4 or 6 serving bowls. Garnish each serving with the fried tortilla strips, avocado, cheese and plain Greek yogurt, as desired.